Eyewitness account from November 15th encounter:
"shaped like a man, but bigger, maybe six or seven feet tall. And it had big wings folded against its back"
Bright red lights, possibly its eyes are associated with sightings, as are reports of poltergeist activity and men in black.
Abandoned TNT Plant- Point Pleasant, West Virginia, USA
- Novembe 12th 1966- Five gravediggers spot a "brown human being" lift off from nearby trees and fly over their heads.
- November 15th 1966- Two couples spot the creature coming out of the abandoned TNT plant and follow them at speeds of over 100 miles per hour.
- A building contractor named Newell Partridge sitting in his home watching television found a strange whining noise like a generator outside his house. Hearing his dog making noise the Partridge then went out to see what was happening; he sees lights like bicycle reflectors staring at him as he shines a torch in the direction of the commotion. Retreating back into the house the Partridge then sleeps with a gun by his side, nervous that the creature will return. He later finds his dog missing, only to discover that a dead dog was spotted on the scene of the other night's encounter.
- November 16th 1966- The family of Ralph Thomas see strange red lights over the TNT plant. The same night a neighbour named Marcella Bennett encounters Mothman outside the Thomas residence, seeing it rise up from the ground in front of her. She is later haunted with the sound of a screaming woman and poltergeist activity is encountered in the house after the encounter.
- December 16th 1967- The Silver Bridge collapses killing 46. Mysterious lights observed over TNT plant same night. Mothman reports cease after this incident.
- Also sporadic reports of Men in Black intimidating witnesses and journalists in the area at the time.
Why is it so?Edit
- Some have attributed sightings to the Sandhill Crane, a bird from Canada.
- Is possible that after the first sighting mundate appearances of animals such as owls were attributed to the Mothman by witnesses.
- Part of the Cornstalk curse
- A being that entered through the window area of Point Pleasant from some other dimension.